Festival season is back! From music and comedy to the arts and theatre, we are looking forward to being reimmersed into the booming atmosphere of Summer festivals.
It’s been a while since we all packed our festival bags, so we have put together a list of festival essentials to make for a smooth return to events this season.
Most Summer festivals last for more than one day, warranting an overnight stay in huge fields. While camping with a large group of people can be fun, camp sites can often be messy, muddy and uneven! Be sure to pack the essentials, which we have listed below, to make for the optimal festival camping experience.
- A tent - You should bring a sturdy tent with you to shield against any unexpected weather, and one that can be reused in future! Be aware that most festival campsites encourage you to take any belongings with you when you leave to avoid unnecessary landfill.
- A sleeping bag - Bring a good quality sleeping bag with you to keep you warm during the festival nights.
- A roll mat - Most festival grounds are often uneven and can therefore be uncomfortable to sleep on. Bringing a roll mat with you (or an inflatable mattress) can improve your sleeping arrangements - and prevent any sore backs!
- Pillows - This will support your head and prevent sore necks from the uneven festival grounds!
- Towels/Wash cloths - Most festival campsites have banned the use of disposable wipes, even biodegradable ones! Bringing a washcloth/towel and a bar of soap are good, environmentally-friendly alternatives to wipes and can keep you feeling fresh throughout the festival days and nights!
- A torch - This will help you find your way back to your tent at night, and the way to our Oatopia van!
- Bin bags - To avoid spreading waste and overfilling festival bins, bring your own bin bag to dispose of any rubbish that you have. Make sure to bring this bag back home with you to dispose of it properly.
- A bag for dirty washing - This will save you searching for a clean t-shirt and underwear on your third day!
Food and Cooking Supplies
If you have no room in your bag for food items, you can find our Oatopia van across most festivals this Summer, including Camp Bestival, Latitude Festival, Lovetrails, Wellnergy Festival and more! We will be offering our range of speciality porridge pots and award-winning flapjacks - the perfect way to fuel your festival days and nights!
However, it is advised that you pack non-perishable goods if possible, such as the items listed below;
- Dry noodle packets/Pot noodles
- Cereal bars
- Nut mixes
You should also come equipped with cooking utensils including reusable cutlery and drinkware. Bringing a reusable water bottle helps prevent high levels of waste on the campsite, and can keep your water colder for longer (depending on the type of water bottle you bring). The same is advised for coffee cups; reusable is always preferred and can be repurposed to hold hot water for your cup-a-soups or noodles!
Toiletries and Personal Items
It is important to pack strategically for festivals, to avoid carrying around heavy bags and realising you only brought one pair of socks! We have put together a list of festival toiletries and clothing essentials below.
- Hand sanitiser - despite the return of festivals, we are still amidst the Covid-19 pandemic. It is important to sanitise hands regularly and keep a safe distance when possible.
- Waterproof clothing - The UK weather is unpredictable and so it is always best to be prepared for rain.
- A warm jumper - Despite it being Summer in the UK and despite having a heatwave or two already this year, Summer nights can get chilly. Make sure you pack a jumper to keep you warm at nights - one should be enough.
- Socks and Underwear - Always bring extra!
- Wellies/comfortable waterproof shoes
Now that you have packed all of your essentials, you are ready to make a return to Summer festivals! Head over to our Instagram to stay up-to-date with which festivals we are at.
Festival Line Up
Henley women’s regatta @henleywregatta
Wealden Summer Fair @wealdeanfairs
Hever Tri @castletriathlonseries
8-11 July - Festival of Speed @fosgoodwood
22-25 July - Latitide festival
29-1 August - Camp Festival
7/8 August - Ironman triathlon Goodwood
10-16 August - Henley Regatta
27-29 August - Redrooster @redroosterfestivals
9-12 September Brighton Marathon
17-19 September Revival Goodwood
16-17 October - October Goodwood Members Meeting
29-3 October - London Marathon Expo
23-23 October - Beachy Head Marathon