What are Flapjacks?
Originating from the United Kingdom, Flapjacks are well known as a delicious baked bar prepared with oats, butter and sugar or syrup. The term ‘flapjack’ was first used in the early 1600’s in England. ‘Flap’ refers to a flat cake and ‘Jack’ refers to an ordinary common man. In other words, the term summarises a simplistic flat cake, made with humble and accessible ingredients.
Traditional flapjacks often have a dense chewy texture and can be served as a simple dessert or enjoyed for breakfast or as an energy-boosting snack. They have a long best before date when stored correctly.
What are Granola Bars?
A granola bar is a bar made of grains such as oats and lots of other ingredients including nuts, seeds, dried fruits, sugar or syrup. They are also often enjoyed as an energy-boosting snack or breakfast alternative! Granola bars are considered to be the ‘American ancestor’ of the popular flapjack.
What is the difference between Flapjacks and Granola bars?
Like flapjacks, granola bars are made from oats but often have less oats and more other added ingredients like dried fruits and nuts. A flapjack is also traditionally slightly more chewy and soft to eat than a granola bar.
How do I make Flapjacks?
First you need the following ingredients:
- 250g of rolled oats
- 125g of butter or vegan margarine + extra for lining your tin if you dont have baking paper
- 80g of maple syrup
- 120g of brown sugar
- Chocolate chips
- 100g of peanut butter
- 100g of Biscoff spread
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a large baking tray with baking paper or butter to stop the flapjack sticking to the tray.
- Melt the butter over a low heat. Once melted, combine the butter with the syrup and brown sugar.
- Stir in the oats as well as any additional, optional ingredients.
- Once combined, press the mixture into your lined baking tray. Scatter your toppings if you have any!
- Cut the flapjacks into slices but don’t cut all the way to the bottom of the tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool before eating (if you can wait that long!)
Don’t have time to bake yourself? Order our Original flapjack via our online shop or browse our other delicious flavours!